homestead - RE: [Homestead] Refrigeration

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Refrigeration
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:56:43 -0500

>>So, is what you are suggesting using hot water as the heat
>>source to heat
>>the ammonia into becoming a gas?

Yes, precisely.

If so, how would one control
>>the temp of
>>the walk-in box? Hm, maybe using a valve on the water line like in a
>>radiant heat system.

The low-tech way would be to hang a thermometer in the box, put a valve on
the hotwater supply and tinker with it. Radiant heating systems probably
have automatic thermostatically controlled valves already available, if you
could find one in a low enough temp range.

>>I think I get the idea, but how would one cool a walk-in box with a
>>refrigerator? Leave the door open?

I'd probably gut the refrigerator and use the components if that could be
done without opening the refrigerant system. The heat source/compressor has
to be outside the box for obvious reasons.

It's not in the spirit of this list, but you can have a walk-in made in any
size you want. They're modular, you just snap the panels together then have
the refrigeration guy do his thing. We've been installing walk-in wine
cellars in homes lately and that's how they're done. We also do a lot of
restaurant applications. Look up your local kitchen equipment supplier
and/or your local refrigeration contractor (Not HVAC contractor) Ask your
favorite restaurant owner who he/she uses to maintain their systems- that's
where you'll find your best deal- restaurant owners are cheapskates!

You need space for the box, and access to outdoors for a line-set to be run
out to the compressor. A small fan-coil hangs in the box.