homestead - RE: [Homestead] Refrigeration

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Refrigeration
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:32:43 -0500

>>Warren, pardon me if I have misled; this is a temporary place to make
>>money. If I have my way, in October I retire and go home to
>>Heartwood, in
>>the middle of the humid Ozarks. That's where I want a walk-in
>>refrigerator.
>>I have a good root cellar, which works fine in the winter but
>>when July
>>says hello something mechanical is needed to keep things
>>cold. My concept
>>is a seriously insulated corner of the pantry maybe four
>>times the size of
>>a refrigerator, with a people door, but also with little doors on the
>>kitchen side that open to reveal items used on a daily basis.
>>By opening
>>only little doors to get the butter you let very little cold out.

You probably said that all before. With that in mind I'd probably build the
box myself. 2x4 studs and 2-3" of rigid insulation. Same with the floor and
ceiling. Plywood on the floor with sheet vinyl over it and turned up the
wall 3-4 inches. Install FRP plastic sheeting over the walls and ceiling,
lapping the FRP over the top of the vinyl flooring. Liquid nails will hold
it to most anything, including rigid insulation.

This sounds stupid but you could get a refrigerator door with the sub-doors
from an appliance repair boneyard, and hang it for your walk-in door, Use
the existing small doors for your butter, etc.. Then I'd call a
refrigeration company to install a small unit for me- shouldn't be too bad
as you aren't talking about a walk-in freezer- just a fridge.

This is what I would have to do if my wife and I wanted a walk-in, because
she wouldn't be very into opening and closing a hotwater valve for cooling.
She's a city kind of girl and hopefully I'm all that melts her butter.