homestead - RE: [Homestead] Refrigeration

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Refrigeration
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:43:03 -0700

This is really going the other direction, but I have an old Servel
refrigerator, which uses ammonia/water as it's coolant, and what amounts to a propane pilot flame to "excite" the refrigerant. No moving parts, no
noise, no power, just relatively expensive propane.

You're breaking my heart. I once left an old Servel behind in a basement because it was so large and heavy. I'd love to have it now.

It seems to me that a fridge like this could be located near a hot water source with a circulation pump (wood, solar, electric, gas, flubber powered, or whatever) or a loop added off a radiant heat system. Coiled copper tubing inserted into the fridges firebox would provide enough heat.

I must be missing something. Okay, we have hot water. Now what? How do I use that to make cold air in a cold box?

RV's use LP refrigerators still, so the technology is still available.

Yes, I have and need to have repaired a 3-way small fridge intended for RV use. It is headed for the summer kitchen and will be powered by propane.

I've seen some plans on the internet for homemade ammonia refrigerant systems

I can put copper together but not stainless tubing. How does one get around the need for non-copper lines, which ammonia corrodes?