homestead - Re: [Homestead] Not in NeverNever Land

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Not in NeverNever Land
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:56:04 -0800

Marie McHarry wrote:

> Every school in the US is subsidized (even home schoolers generally use
> materials developed by a subsidized organization).

***Ah, your were doing fine till ya got to this point. "Generally"
school-at-home homeschoolers this but "most" homeschoolers aren't
school-at-home types.

If students had to pay
> the full cost, no one would get a university education -- not even at the
> high end schools where tuition is breath taking (Harvard, University of
> Chicago, USC, etc). OTOH, subsidizing education is a pretty good deal for
> the society at large.

***How do you figure? Generations upon generations got along just fine
without the government diddling in their education. In fact, the more
government diddles, the more functionally illiterate this nation has become.
If you want nice little sheople, then it is a pretty good deal. If you want
a thinking nation instead of folks that think Fox is the gospel, then it
isn't a pretty good deal.

> As for taxes being immoral and generally nasty: we in the US live in a
> democratic republic.

***Theoretically we still live in a "representative" republic.

The king isn't taxing us. We've elected representatives
> who do our bidding. Of course, if we aren't active in deciding who gets
> elected, what these reps do may not be to our liking. The colonists were
> willing to sacrifice their lives and sacred honor because they rejected
> taxation with representation. They didn't reject taxation per se.

***Sorry, it is too late. Our representatives belong to big business.
Bought and paid for!