homestead - Re: [Homestead] Toxic threats to children---NOW, not in Never Never Land

  • From: Steve Oliphant <steveo AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Toxic threats to children---NOW, not in Never Never Land
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:38:30 -0700

Rob wrote:

At 1/29/2005 06:13 PM, you wrote:

A The only unthinkers
I've met are the ones who think that taxes are a way of being patriotic and
"pay(ing) (their) share of the burden".

Melody

I'd guess with the above comment you don't think there is anything that "you" should have to share in supporting.
<shrug>
I guess freeloaders are another part of the human race that we will always have.

Rob, I would guess from your response to the above comment that you do not believe that anyone would *voluntarily* pay for needed services (from the private sector), give to charity, defend themselves, or help their neighbor.

My experience has been that people tend to expect others to act the way they themselves do.

Who would be more of a freeloader? The one who doesn't want to *force* others to pay for the things/services they use? or the one who does?

People who think that paying taxes is patriotic are ignoring that taxes themselves are tyrannical. Have you ever paid more than was required of you - you know, like giving a "donation" to the tax system? Some do - but most - even those who claim that paying taxes is a good thing - pay the least amount that they can get away with.

So would the freeloader be the one who thinks that taxes are wrong, unpatriotic, and immoral, and that people should pay their own way and voluntarily support others that need it (charity)? Or would the freeloader be the one who thinks that it is ok to force people to give up money to not only pay for those who may need charity, but also to pay for the implementation and enforcing of that very tax, and other programs that may or may not be agreed to by the payor?

Another thing that most people forget, the USA was not designed to be a democracy - where the majority can rule over the minority. It was designed to be a republic - where representatives of the people operating under a limiting constitution, took care of the bare minimum government necessary, mostly to deal with other governments. It is when we started acting more like mob rule (democracy) and people discovered that they could freeload on the money of others (that is all any government money is) that we got people who desire to be, and think they are patriotic, and moral, that call others who want liberty in the sense that this great nation was founded on, *freeloaders*.

Regards,

-Steve