homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Iraq war goes badly, will continue to do so.

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Iraq war goes badly, will continue to do so.
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:57:36 -0700

At 12:13 AM 1/11/05 EST, Drew
wrote:
>In a message dated 1/10/2005 11:09:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>melody AT crecon.com writes:
>
>>((And who can blame them? A Western country mandating that an Eastern
>>((country try a brand of government that they don't believe in or want is a
>>((huge mistake.
>Uhhh, the people of Iraq, the ones we are trying to help DO support the
idea
>of a democracy and will risk the very real possibility of death to exercise
>their new right to vote. How many Americans would show up at a known bomb
>target to cast their vote???

As far as I am aware the vote has not happened; it is due to occur on the
30th of the month. Was there another that I am not aware of?

The people we are fighting are not generally Iraqi
>citizens, but terrorists from other nations gathered together at the point
of
>the sword. We are also not fighting mainstream Muslims. I know several and
>they are adament in their denial of this assertion. The friends and
relatives
>of mine currently fighting over their and one returned wounded ALL
believe in
>our actions over their and rave at the support they have from the
citizenry.
>I am sorry if the truth doesn't jibe with the liberal spin on the war.

I have heard both sides. One soldier that I know and have talked to speaks
of the kindness of the people and the thank yous that she received often.

Another soldier that I have visited with speaks of all of the near fatal
accidents with driving a truck. Iraqis will run their cars directly in
front of the trucks so as to make them run off the road. The drivers have
been told to keep moving and shoot at the ground in front of the cars to
scare them away; if they continue their course toward the trucks they have
to shoot the drivers.

Same soldier said that they can no longer offer toys or gifts to children,
or accept anything from the children because the adults will give children
items that are meant to detinate which kills the child and the soldier.

Another soldier asked his mother to please sent sidewalk chalk, coloring
books and crayons in the hopes that the Iraqi people will see that the
soldiers are there to help and that they care about the people.

The first soldier was stationed in Iraq at the beginning of the war, the
latter two are stationed there now. I think we have worn out our welcome.

>>((In any case, why are we there? We have gotten rid of the monster we went
>>))in for, found that their arms were not anywhere to be seen....
>
>Millions of pounds of weapons have been found and destroyed, so I must
>assume you are referring to the "weapons of mass destruction" Practically
everyone
>on both sides of the political fence believed he had them and we don't know
>that he didn't . Just as in the first war, where Saddam sent his best
weapons
>into Iran to protect them from us, he is suspected of shipping much into
>Syria in the months leading up to the current war. We know for a fact from
>witnesses that one of the last sites inspectors said held biological
weapons was
>visited by convoys of Russian trucks (known to be for hire) in the 3 days
prior
> to our entering the country and the place was empty when we got there. If
>you were Saddam and had many months to prepare, would you have left the
>evidence of lies out in the open???

But the point is, they were not there. Whether we believe that he had them
or not, or whether he had them or not, it doesn't matter at this point
because we have never found them.

>((when will we
>((quit occupying a country whose ways we don't know, while pretending to
give
>((them "freedom" and "democracy"?
>
>We really didn't understand the ways of Hitler, murdering the Jews and
>starting his plan for world domination, but we occupied Germany anyway.
Saddam
>murdered with weapons of mass destruction countless Kurds, should we let
this
>stand simply because they are Kurds and different from us?? Saddam rolled
into
>Kuwait, raping and pillaging as he went, and we responded to this as well.

How many have innocents have we killed? Does the end justify the means?
Does good intentions make any of those deaths any better?

>Should we not have simply because we didn't understand their Ways??This is
not
>a religious war, we are not imposing our religion on the people of Iraq.

No, but in their minds this is a Holy War, is it not? And in their
elections, will women be allowed to vote? I really don't know the answer to
that question, but based on the fact that Western cultures treat their
woman will all the rights of a man, I find it hard to believe that they
won't be allowed to vote. Now, is that not taking away their religious
beliefs and imposing our beliefs on them?

We
>are removing a tyrant and will back out leaving the people of Iraq in the
>position to elect whom they choose. The opposition parties are already
forming in
>Iraq within the democratic structure and will put candidates on future
>ballots. Sure this first election will take place under our direction,
but not
>those in the future.

And will insurgents be allowed to be on the ballot? I highly doubt it. I
would bet that the only names on the ballot will be the ones that Bush
wants as colleages. That is *not* democratic or free, is it?

Best wishes,
Melody