homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Iraq war goes badly, will continue to do so.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Iraq war goes badly, will continue to do so.
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:50:27 -0700

tvoivozhd---best answer to that is how many Americans did it take to keep even Kamikaze Japanese submissive? A relative handful, employing subversion and the quite believable threat of extinction under mushroom clouds.

You have that backwards. First came the mushroom clouds, then came the occupation. Drug-enhanced kamikaze died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It is absurd to compare the Japan occupation with the Iraq invasion. Japan surprise-attacked us at Pearl Harbor, threatening our very existence. The Japanese people knew that their leaders had dishonored them and deserved whatever we handed out after we beat them. During the two-and-a-half years I served in Japan I found the people very pragmatic and grateful for how we treated them after the crimes they had committed on us. Their deeply held honor system honored our strength and our decency.

It was a stupid, arrogant and immoral invasion.

tvoivozhd---why the hell do I have to keep repeating the truth---hasn't anyone ever read a history book, or a newspaper since 1990? Immoral to get rid of Saddam Hussein? Stupid not to.

It is morally unsupportable to justify killing well over a hundred thousand men, women and children and to maim thousands more to depose one tyrant, no matter how heinous his actions. The Iraqi people allowed Saddam to come to power and it was their responsibility to depose him just as it is now their responsibility to create the nation they want. We could have defanged Saddam by other means and the inspections were well on the way to doing more of that. In fact, he was largely defanged already. We now know that he thought he had far more weapons that he did. His top advisors were lying to him. His day was drawing to an end. As I vainly repeated before the invasion, the proof of his weakness was the lack of fear by surrounding nations. But of course, they spoke the same language. "Slam dunk Tenet" should have been fired for gross incompetence.

I find it curious that otherwise intelligent people hold that getting rid of Saddam Hussein justified the most horrific inhumanity--the mass killing and maiming of tens of thousands of innocent human beings. Where is the outrage and the passion to rid the world of all the other despots who savage and ravage their countries?