homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Iraq war goes badly, will continue to do so.

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Iraq war goes badly, will continue to do so.
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:02:19 EST

As far as I am aware the vote has not happened; it is due to occur on the
30th of the month. Was there another that I am not aware of?

Nope, but registrations have occurred and numbers are very high.

The people we are fighting are not generally Iraqi
>citizens, but terrorists from other nations gathered together at the point
of
>the sword.

((The first soldier was stationed in Iraq at the beginning of the war, the
((latter two are stationed there now. I think we have worn out our welcome.

I think the terrorists see our kindness as our weakness and will always try
to use it against us, I am not aware of any bombs actually being delivered by

children, but don't doubt the terrorists would employ them. These people are
still not the typical Iraqi citizens though, but the insurgents from outside
. Our welcome is still there with the people of Iraq.

>>((In any case, why are we there? We have gotten rid of the monster we
went
>>))in for, found that their arms were not anywhere to be seen....
>
>Millions of pounds of weapons have been found and destroyed, so I must
>assume you are referring to the "weapons of mass destruction" Practically
everyone
>on both sides of the political fence believed he had them and we don't
know
>that he didn't . Just as in the first war, where Saddam sent his best
weapons

((But the point is, they were not there. Whether we believe that he had them
((or not, or whether he had them or not, it doesn't matter at this point
((because we have never found them.

Of course it matters whether they were there or not. If they were and Saddam
has hidden them, we were certainly justified in our actions, if not, we need
to see where the US, British, French and other intelligence agencies all
erred.

((How many have innocents have we killed? Does the end justify the means?
((Does good intentions make any of those deaths any better?

And how many innocents have they killed? They certainly believe the end
justifies any means and this makes them all the more dangerous. As far as
good
intentions and the resulting deaths go, this has been debated for centuries
with
no definitive answer. Does the good of the many outweigh the good of the
few??

>Should we not have simply because we didn't understand their Ways??This is
not
>a religious war, we are not imposing our religion on the people of Iraq.

((No, but in their minds this is a Holy War, is it not?

Only in the minds and words of the terrorists, the people of Iraq do not
view it this way.

((And in their
((elections, will women be allowed to vote? I really don't know the answer to
((that question, but based on the fact that Western cultures treat their
((woman will all the rights of a man, I find it hard to believe that they
((won't be allowed to vote.

In the end, the Iraqi's will write the rules for their elections, and if
they choose to allow women to vote, so be it. If not, so be it. The US has
not
required them to.

((Now, is that not taking away their religious
((beliefs and imposing our beliefs on them?

The Iraqi's have always seen the difference between politics and religion,
Saddam was not a religious cleric. The terrorists do want to impose religious

leaders as political leaders though.

((And will insurgents be allowed to be on the ballot? I highly doubt it. I
((would bet that the only names on the ballot will be the ones that Bush
((wants as colleages. That is *not* democratic or free, is it?

Yes, they are, as long as they are Iraqi citizens and have not been
convicted of crimes. Many known leaders
of these groups have vowed to run for office. We will see over time how fair
the process evolves to be. The US involvement will not last for long, in
such a high profile case. If things don't get dramatically better, the next
President will be elected on the pledge to withdraw.

Drew