homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oops, it's only just beginning

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oops, it's only just beginning
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:41:04 -0700

Here, not so very far from Floyd County, the greater county area had 20,000 garment jobs. 'Cozy-Dozy' infants wear was one national brand. Now there are about 40 jobs left at Pointer Brand Coveralls

I mostly feel pretty helpless to affect the international market place beyond spending my money where I intellectually feel good about it. I'm sure I make mistakes. But I have found one way that I can have a small effect on how business is conducted--I refuse to use the self-checkout equipment in grocery stores. No matter no long the lines, no matter how tight my schedule, I shun the checkout machines. In that way, my grocery dollars vote for jobs.