homestead - RE: [Homestead] hooray it's only just beginning

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] hooray it's only just beginning
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:43:12 -0600

Denise writes:

<<The ugly and unpopular truth is that healthcare is ALWAYS rationed in some
way. The ugly and unpopular truth is that everyone cannot get cutting edge,
expensive, treatment for hangnails, hearts, or leukemia. The ugly and
unpopular truth is that there are worse things than dying.>>

I think I know better than most that there are worse things than dying. The
real bummer is not dying quick and clean.

The child leukemia patients whose fundraisers I attend generally have
garden-variety leukemia that can be treated with standard procedures.
Treatment just costs a whole lot more than hired men with no insurance can
pay. Plus, with the price of health insurance spiraling out of sight, city
jobs (that their mothers once held) are not including insurance as much as
they used to.

Of course, health care is rationed. Not everyone would benefit from the
latest and greatest advances. It's not, alas, rationed in a rational way.
We're still spending huge amounts on old people who are moribund while
children and young adults get little or nothing.

This, I firmly believe, is nuts.

Marie