homestead - Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:11:05 -0800

At 12/1/2004, you wrote:
Tools and commodities (and to a large extent, skills) are not subject to someone else valuing them, and this sets them apart from either purely fiat money or gold.

Most of those survival scenarios are for a complete collapse. What value has gold if every one around you needs food and no one has seeds or it is the dead of winter? It is a partial collapse that gold provides the safety net, you can flee to a stable situation where gold has value. I have read of Vietnamese wrapping themselves with gold thread and the original purpose of gold chains was to provide a very portable bank.

In a survival situation where there was no stable place to flee or you did not expect a return to stability skills would become much more valuable. The ability to get a Diesel engine running on vegetable oil would be more valuable than a bag of silver coins.

So how you structure your survival portfolio depends entirely how you expect things to turn out. I have always said if we have TEOTWAWNI, I want to be in the middle of a huge junk yard.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com