homestead - [Homestead] Available wood, was Re: Ask a question?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Available wood, was Re: Ask a question?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:00:13 -0600

Locally, we have a sawmill that produces wood for farm construction. I've
just gotten small pieces of waste wood from them, but they also produce
cottonwood planks, 2x4's, and the like.

Right now, I'm looking to replace all the posts that my late husband, Jim,
got at a local lumber yard. I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't
locust or Osage orange, and they rot right at ground level even though they
appear to have been treated. If it weren't for the steel posts, I'd be out
herding goats right now.

Jim was right about one thing: the posts lasted for his lifetime.

Marie