homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Ask a question?

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Ask a question?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:43:35 -0500

sanrico AT highdesert.com wrote:

Thanks for taking the wheel and getting us back on track!
I do have a question:
I've seen mentioned, in various newsletters lately, proposals to begin
planting/using poplar as hardwood for general construction purposes (which
it's
supposed to become once it's kiln-dried).
I'm curious if 'poplar' would include the hybrid poplars that are advertised
as
being so fast-growing?
Anybody?
Sandy

tvoivozd---Hybrid poplars, like hybrid willows like Charolais X Angus cattle grow faster than non-hybrids---a characteristic of hybrid vigor My observation (not research) is that poplar grows well wherever moisture-loving willows do, but not as fast, but the Matsudana X Salix Alba is not as brittle as the huge Wisconsin willow---good for making willow furniture. If you have acid soil the Tulip Magnolia would be much better to grow for construction purposes. It grows almost as fast as hybrids, and straight as a string, you don't have to continuously lop off branches to get a good sawlog---unlike poplars awillows. Lumber has to be treated the same way---works fine if kept under roof and dry. Tulip Magnolia is even good for vertical siding (not horizontal), as long as siding bottoms do not touch the ground where moisture can wick up. I prefer a thicker and cheaper 10/eighths siding if you buy it from a sawmill.