homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Ask a question?

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Ask a question?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:41:23 -0800

At 11/26/2004 10:51 PM, you wrote:
I've seen mentioned, in various newsletters lately, proposals to begin
planting/using poplar as hardwood for general construction purposes (which it's
supposed to become once it's kiln-dried).
I'm curious if 'poplar' would include the hybrid poplars that are advertised as
being so fast-growing?

Up in MN they call all the Aspen "popples". Now that stuff does grow fast and large (diameter & height) but I never saw it used for much besides pulp log. I used it for other things but never felt comfortable with it as joists (I did short runs between supports as floor joists).

Rob

becidawa AT hctc.com
Now in western Washington, USA