homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Ask a question?

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Ask a question?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:46:58 -0800 (PST)

Thanks (to all) for the information and comments - of course, you're correct!
As
usual, I was reading too fast. The article that aroused my curiosity is from
"Small Diameter Timber Utilization":

Researchers try poplars as new cash crop
November 21, 2004

They rise like mirages amid miles of arid desert: small patches of quaint,
leaf-carpeted forests that whistle in the wind.
For the past eight years, these pale, hybrid poplar groves have sprung up out
of
the flatlands of central and eastern Oregon. Now numbering nearly 2,000 acres
across 13 counties - a few of those on the southwestern tip of Idaho - the
small
plantations mark the region's induction into agroforestry: an environmentally
friendly practice that, in an age of federal timber restrictions, may
eventually
supply much of the nation's lumber.

Poplars are easily grown using the traditional irrigation and weed management
practices of agriculture. Harvest time means logging, however, a concept some
growers may have difficulty wrapping their minds around. But central Oregon
farmers will try just about anything to get their hands on a new cash crop.

The towering grove that turns heads along U.S. 26 in Madras offers hope for a
region where reliable crops such as mint and garlic are succumbing to disease
or
foreign competition. Some say the poplar, a fast-growing deciduous tree with
pretty wood, can reap as much money per acre as the profitable potato crop
once
did - that is, for farmers who have the patience.

Once planted, the first poplar harvest doesn't arrive for more than a decade.
Agricultural researchers with the Oregon State University Extension Service -
who
spearheaded poplar planting in Madras, Prineville, Malheur County and other
parts
of the state - say that, judging from experiments so far and emerging markets,
the tree has plenty of potential.

In Madras, trees planted in the mid-1990s are already as high as 70 feet and
boast 12-inch diameters - just about the size needed to make a good saw log.
The
quasi-forest will be logged when it hits 12 years of age - the cutoff point in
Oregon's Forest Practices Act that marks when a plantation becomes a forest.

Researchers at Madras' Central Oregon Agricultural Research Center have found
that planting poplars in 14-foot-wide rows works best. In addition to the
roughly
4-acre grove at the research station, close to a half-dozen farmers are
experimenting with poplars in central Oregon, said Tim Deboodt, the extension
agent leading the poplar project locally.

Poplars need little, if any, fertilizer because they recycle nitrogen from
their
own fallen leaves. While poplar wood is normally thought of as soft, it gets
strong when kiln-dried, said Marilyn Moore, the Malheur County extension
agent,
and is excellent for cabinets, furniture and window frames. The tree's
branches
can also be chipped for livestock bedding and the unpruned tops are perfect
for
the "character wood" - wood with knots and worm holes - that's recently become
popular, Moore said.

Associated Press

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2004/11/21/build/business/53-poplars.inc

Copyright © 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not
be
published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.