homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead tools

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead tools
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:33:49 -0800

At 11/19/2004, you wrote:
O.K., why would it be any different than in a car? Something weird happened
with the alternator (call it a charger) in my truck and it fried my battery
by "overcharging" it. that's exactly what the mechanic called it. He said
that the guy who replaced the burned out alternator (it had caught on fire)
should have checked the battery and the battery cables at the same time.

Automobile batteries are wet cell batteries. A mixture of a water and an acid stores energy. The water can boil off if the battery is over charged or gets too hot. Alternators have a regulator to keep the voltage to a set limit and to bring the voltage down as current load decreases. If the alternator charges at to high a voltage, it will boil a battery dry. It would had to have been going on for a while and any alternator change should cause the battery to be tested.

The batteries used on cordless tools are dry cells. If they are charged at too high a voltage they heat up. If there is a malfunction they can heat to the point of ignition.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com