homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead tools

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead tools
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:35:33 -0800

> It's been awhile since we had this "discussion". With talk of starting a
> place in VA it might be a good time for it, there must be someone else on
> the list thinking about starting out... as a plus it's not political <g>.
> Rob becidawa<mailto:becidawa AT hctc.com>

Hear, hear !!

> I'm thinking a list is a good place to start, just something to think
> about, something to look for at garage sales, auctions and the like. Even
> sales at stores.

> A truck is a good start, a trailer will do much of what a truck will.

If you think "smelly, heavy, dirty" while you're
thinking/looking 'truck/trailer' it helps to focus
on *what/why* you *need* a ?truck/trailer?
and not a status symbol SUV.

> A wheelbarrow.

Again - think "smell, heavy, dirty" *and*
think about the wheel - and tire - and
rocky/sandy/wet ground on which you'll
be pushing it ... and how much easier
moving loads will be if the *wheel* is
what might be termed a 'luxury' design -
even if you have to buy a wheel
separately.

(snip)
> Chains (get the best you can)

Rope, string, coils of wire, hose/s

> Hand tools (wrenches, pliers, etc)
> Hand tools (saws, hammers, brace-n-bits, -woodworking)

Paint the handles a nice visible color -
like fluorescent green so it's neither
overlooked nor mistaken for something
else - even red or orange can get lost
in colored fallen leaves ...

> Tape measures (I like to find those tool sales tents and stock up on cheap
> ones, I lose the expensive ones just as fast as the cheap ones so picking
> up 5 cheap ones is a lot better than just one spendy one. If I can't find
> one then I need another)

Either paint them or attach to a loop
and hook it to your belt, or even find/
make a belt holster for the times you'll
need one. Depending on what you're
measuring, a carpenter's folding wood
measure works, too. You might as
well get one fairly long one, too.

Where do you extend thinking 'tools' to
the "inside" type of tools as in "preserving
food" and not attracting insects to stored
food - by keeping it in glass jars with lids
which are free for the washing/storage
depending on what you are already buying
or could collect from restaurants ... ?

And "tools" for growing food ... ?