homestead - Re: [Homestead] Truck suggestions

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Truck suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:05:50 -0700

>Front-wheel drive often negates the need for mileage-depleting and maintenance-cost >increasing four-wheel drive.

Until you get stuck in the mud out back..... 4wd like everything is a trade off.

Yes. Some drivers overestimate what 4WD will do. I loaned my old farm truck--1978 Ford 150 4WD--to a friend. He got it stuck in a mud hole. All four wheels churned furiously, just dug deeper. Took a tractor to extricate.

And, btw, be most cautious on icy or hard snow roads. 4WD can create fatal problems when drivers expect improved traction and go too fast, especially on winding and sloped roads.