homestead - Re: [Homestead] Truck suggestions

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Truck suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:37:01 -0800

At 11/16/2004, you wrote:
Yes. Some drivers overestimate what 4WD will do. I loaned my old farm truck--1978 Ford 150 4WD--to a friend. He got it stuck in a mud hole. All four wheels churned furiously, just dug deeper. Took a tractor to extricate.

In the desert we always told people to use 4 wd to get yourself out of trouble, not in. Once out of the problem disengage the front axles and go on.

And, btw, be most cautious on icy or hard snow roads. 4WD can create fatal problems when drivers expect improved traction and go too fast, especially on winding and sloped roads.

It does not matter how many wheels you have powered, you still have the same number with brakes.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com