homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oil leaks; use thicker oil?

  • From: "Paul Hillman" <chris_hillman AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oil leaks; use thicker oil?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:33:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Don Bowen<mailto:don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org<mailto:homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 11:35 AM

At 10/22/2004, you wrote:
>I have a '90 Chevy Corsica 6 cyl., with a leak which would cost about $800
>to fix. It's one of the engine-block gaskets on the top-back of the engine.
>
>I was thinking of using "JB Weld" to pack around it on the outside. JB
>Weld is a type of high temperature exopy ? that I've used before.

And whoever comes along after will curse you. Also to make JB Weld stay,
you will need to make sure the area is clean with no oil. IF it is a V6,
more than likely the gasket is the manifold to block, an easy fix.

Don,

I took it to a Chevy dealer for analysis and got that "approximate" cost
figure.

I pretty much work on all my own vehicles, but I prefer the old,
conventional rear-wheel drives. That's why I have a '79 Chevy pickup with a
350. My wife bought this Corsica and these front-wheel drives are a small
nightmare for me to work on, especially this V6. You can't even hardly see
around the engine, let alone stick a hand in there to work on something. We
also have a 4cyl Corsica which has a lot more space in there to get to parts.

The leak is small but uses about a quart a week, and is in a tough location
to get to. I was hoping to spray-clean, etc., the area and try some JB Weld
on it. The heck with the "next guy", 'cause I plan on keeping the car until
it's "junk".

Yes, it looks like the "intake manifold" joint to the engine-block gasket?
The whole upper fuel injection, etc., etc., etc., would have to be removed. A
bunch of work for such a "small" leak. Besides, even if another mechanic
would later have to work on it, I'd find one who owns a grinder to remove the
JB.

Paul Hillman