homestead - [Homestead] Oil leaks; use thicker oil?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Oil leaks; use thicker oil?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:14:54 -0700

Chris drives the '91 Corolla to work. About a hundred miles a week or so. Car has a couple hundred thousand miles on it. I don't think it burns oil. It is leaking oil bad enough to add several quarts between changes. I tightened the pan gasket, wiped everything off, can't find any really bad single leaks. Transmission also leaks. The whole thing leaks from every pore. Toyota wants more to fix all the leaks than the car is worth. So I add oil and I keep a piece of cardboard under the car in the garage. Inasmuch as auto oil only gets cold in December and January here in Phoenix, plus this car is always garaged, I'm thinking to use a heavier oil. Suggestions?