homestead - Re: [Homestead] "... they also serve, ..."

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "... they also serve, ..."
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:39:12 -0500

Lynda -- I think it's great that you are finding real people who can
benefit from your generosity and that you are teaching your children by
example. It's the throwing something at a problem without really connecting
to actual people's needs which disturbs me in the response of some
well-intentioned people.

I've seen way too much of people using their emotional involvement as an
impetus to clean out their houses and feel that they've done something
significant. If they would clean out the extra, buy some new, and then
personally deliver it or see that it is delivered, I think that does much
more to alleviate severe depression. It's the personal touch, like the
names on the quilts you mentioned, and the holding the hand or being
willing to sit and listen which is much more healing.

As you said, it's the "special...just for him..." showing that you did
really think of him personally which makes the difference.
Lynn