homestead - Re: [Homestead] "... they also serve, ..."

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "... they also serve, ..."
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:38:04 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2004 1:07:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lurine AT softcom.net writes:

Well, I gotta disagree with lots of this. Some of us can't afford to hop in
the car and drive 9 hours or even pay postage. However, we can take scraps
of material and make quilts or crochet/knit afghans and blankets or make
slippers or lap robes or even bake cookies, etc.

The kidlets and I do all of the above every year and find out who is house
bound or stuck in a VA hospital or out on the rez and doesn't have family.
We gather donations of postage from local stores or find truckers heading in
the right direction that will take a small box along and then we send off
packages so these folks will know that someone cares.

I have to agree with Lynda, we all need to do what we CAN and it is not
possible for
us all to make that trip. For those who can make that drive, their trip is
far more effective if they take the clothes they donate, and those of six
neighbors too. As an individual, and a
boy scout leader, I have been in the position to do both at different times.
Both methods of helping have been appreciated by the recipients of my time
and
goods.

Drew