homestead - Re: [Homestead] "... they also serve, ..."

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "... they also serve, ..."
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:06:09 -0700

Well, I gotta disagree with lots of this. Some of us can't afford to hop in
the car and drive 9 hours or even pay postage. However, we can take scraps
of material and make quilts or crochet/knit afghans and blankets or make
slippers or lap robes or even bake cookies, etc.

The kidlets and I do all of the above every year and find out who is house
bound or stuck in a VA hospital (there isn't one close) or out on the rez
and don't have family.

We call and talk to the nurses, find out favorite colors, things they like,
etc. We gather donations of postage from local stores or find truckers
heading in
the right direction that will take a small box along and then we send off
packages so these folks will know that someone cares.

We send cards during the year (the youngest has a card making program on her
computer and loves to make cards), for holidays or just because.

And why blankets or afghans. Because they are personal in an impersonal
world. We make them specific for the person we send them to, favorite
colors, and always put their names on them.

We had one older gentleman who was at the VA in No. CA who asked the nurses
for a stump warmer. So we made that and a matching slipper for his foot
(after checking to see if it was right or left) and she said he was
absolutely thrilled and paraded the things around all over the place. They
were special, just for him. Someone had taken the time to remember him.

Lynda