homestead - [Homestead] Brain space, was Ancient Ham Radio Gear - Was survival plan

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Brain space, was Ancient Ham Radio Gear - Was survival plan
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:48:23 -0700

Jesus, what a head full of old useless things I have.

" Nam memini etiam quae nolo, oblivisci non possum quae volo "
Cicero in De Finibus Bonorum et Malorum
"Teach me not the art of remembering,but the art of forgetting;For, I
remember things that I do not wish to remember but, I cannot forget things I would wish to forget".

Remember how it was held that we only use a tiny percentage of our brain? That our brain was capable of a hundred miles an hour while we moved at pedestrian speed? Observing my parents and other senior geezers, reading about Alzheimer's and having swam in the Anthony Robbins' neuro-linguistic programming waters a bit--yeah, I took the stroll over the hot coals--it seems to me that maybe, just maybe, we do have limited space upstairs. The comparison to computer memory is inescapable. But I am optimistic about my pessimism. I think that strengthening useful neural pathways is the antidote to diminished short-term memory and dementia. So I try to focus on the now and repeating the message until it sticks. Does that weaken old pathways or kill them? Dunno. Being unable to remember what happened yesterday elicits smiles, or worse. But who will fault us for not remembering what happened forty or sixty years ago?