homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ancient Ham Radio Gear - Was survival plan

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ancient Ham Radio Gear - Was survival plan
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:49:53 -0700

clanSkeen wrote:

tvoivozhd---I really HATED IT when Heathkit shut down. They produced
some marvelous kits, the construction of which was an unmatched learning
experience. There were a couple of other kit-producers too that no
longer exist---I built quite a few

Then you no doubt recall the ubiquitous Knight Kits from Allied Radio: the
T-60 and T-150 transmitters that used the equally ubiquitous 807 tube for
the final. Probably the pinnacle of the tube maker's art. And the (was it
R-55??) StarRoamer Receiver. My father is quite completely color blind and
I well recall sitting by him around 1960 or so while he built each of those,
"Let's see, we need a 4" wire red and yellow and it goes to the 120K
resistor, that would be black, red, green ..."

tvoivozhd---yeah!, yeah!, yeah!!---I built many,many of the Allied kits---knew I was making a financial (and historical) mistake when I discarded a three-car garage full of every vacuum tube in the world when I left Houston. Also tons of test equipment (really liked that dual-trace recording oscilloscope, and my old Heathkit direction-finder used on my schooner.. Figured all the electrolytics were drying up for lack of use.

In college I was the only licensed operator (very small college, the
seminary, I don't want to talk about it) and the radio facility had a
Heathkit HX10 Marauder Transmitter, a HA202 Warrior linear amplifier, and
the RX1 Mohawk receiver. I had lots of fun with those. Later when I hung
out my shingle as a bench technician (now there's a dead trade!) I built all
the Heathkit test equipment and just threw away some of it not a month ago.
Still have the oscilloscope, I also have the discrete wired hand held 2M FM
rig (don't recall it's numbers) that used crystals ... discrete wired and
crystal controlled, a technology that was passing out of existence even as
the solder was cooling!

tvoivozhd---had one of those too., and a machine for restoring dead TV monitors.

What a thing to have been part of! From tubes on a metal punched chassis
all the way up to disposable LSI techno-crap ... and every evolution in
between. Yup, it was all fun.

QSL fer FB QSO OM

73's

James

tvoivozhd---same to you, kept my Air Force Radio Operator ticket alive, but none of the Ham Radio gear---my kids still have and use their gear.