homestead - [Homestead] Where to buy was: Wall Street reacts

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Where to buy was: Wall Street reacts
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:25:52 -0700

Beyond knowledge and tools, the major investment for a serious homesteader is land. Without it, you are improving the investment of someone else. If one chooses to not depend on a pension fund or social security, then one must provide for one's own financial security.

One of the purposes of traveling around in my trailer will be to look at land. I intend to look with the idea of where will I spend the rest of my life. I was something relatively inexpensive which means away from major metropolitan and tourist areas. I want decent rainfall or easily available water which unfortunately removes much of the west. I want decent dirt because I do not have the time to build up another block of soil. The good soil does not need to be all that much, just enough for a good sized garden. I want a more temperate climate with a long growing season and no extended periods of below freezing weather. So I intend to look around as I wander around.

What investment would you suggest that will pay the taxes and utilities, pay for dependable transportation, replace worn-out tools, buy seeds, and, yes, buy a new computer in one's post-working years?

That is an issue I have grappled with and do not have a decent answer. Business decisions and a sudden loss of employment in the last 5 years have left me with less than I anticipated. The actions of the thieves in DC have transferred so much wealth to the wealthy that my SSI will be almost meaningless. So I invest a little in a trailer and a couple of years wandering around the country while I ponder this issue and where to live.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com