homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growingtree-grass in world

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growingtree-grass in world
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:03:45 -0700

Tvo typed :
> Kudzu is only one of the horrors that serve as cautions. In my
part of the world multiflora rose was pushed by the extension agents. It is
now considered an invasive pest. Same with certain olive species. Same with
some fishes.

.. same with English ivy in the Pacific Northwest
that is now strangling trees in parks and freeway
medians - and has escaped in some of the
"recreation" "forests"/State parks, etc. ... as has
milfoil in many waterways and water hyacinth in
Florida. (There was something about water
hyacinth purifying sewage but I've forgotten
where) Pepper trees in Florida, too. I don't know
about the eucalyptus in California - haven't read
anything about that lately - it was imported for the
timber industry but it wouldn't grow here the way
it did in Australia ...

Toni
From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable,
fastest growing tree-grass in world
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:07:24 -0700

> I've wanted to try bamboo but have the same concerns about creating a
> monster.
> Anyone know how deep the roots/runners go? I imagine it depends on the
> variety
> but thought maybe the 2 feet or so would be enough to contain it.
> DebF

Might also depend on where you are -
winterwise. Wild morning glory/woodbine
roots have been found as deep as five feet,
and that's just a flowering vine ....

Toni