homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:41:11 -0700

DFoster987 AT aol.com wrote:

I've wanted to try bamboo but have the same concerns about creating a monster. One thought I had was taking a large livestock tank, either the long oval one or a large round one, knocking the bottom entirely out and burying the remaining ring then planting the bamboo inside it. Anyone know how deep the roots/runners go? I imagine it depends on the variety but thought maybe the 2 feet or so would be enough to contain it.
DebF

tvoivozhd---most sources say two feet---I'd feel more comfortable with a
three-foot barrier, and more comfortable yet with a big creek on one side or
wide gravel road. Bamboo roots will not enter a year-around creek bottom,
they like moisture, but not creek or lake bottoms.