homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:28:10 -0700

Before we moved we looked into growing bamboo.  Very interesting critters that come in all sizes, shapes AND colors, including black and polka dotted!

There are two types of bamboo, running bamboo and clump bamboo.  Clump bamboo is shallow rooted and is the type you can contain by putting a two to three foot barrier around it.  The running bamboo is the type that takes over.  The clumping type bamboo is usually not cold-hardy.  Fountain Bamboo (E. nitida) is hardy to zero degrees F and Fargesia muriciae which is hardy to -20 but is rare.

The really big bamboo that is used like wood such as the Giant Timber Bamboo (6" diameter) and Moso Bamboo (8" diameter) are running bamboo.

Lynda