homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world

  • From: Walter H.Jeffries <Highlands AT blacklightning.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo, most valuable, fastest growing tree-grass in world
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:56:10 -0400

On Sep 9, 2004, at 2:37 PM, Warren F. Smith wrote:
http://www.jmbamboo.com/ (don't know why a nursery specializing in
cold-hardy bamboos would be located in Alabama, New England would be
more appropriate.

There's a vast difference in the meaning of cold-hardy and New England. :)

I note that on their web site they offer "Cold-Hardy". Then on another page they have "Extra Cold-Hardy". In their words about this second "Extra Cold-Hardy" variety they say: "While all the bamboos I sell are cold hardy, here are several that are exceptional. All these are hardy to below zero."

Compared with the tropics, being able to grow in Southern USA may be considered cold-hardy. That is being able to survive some frosts and freezing. Being able to grow in New England, especially the upper half, means withstanding ground frozen hard like rock and bitter winds and winter temps of -45F below zero for weeks, sometimes worse, and below zero for months. That's a lot lower than "hardy to below zero". Although the wind isn't such a factor if the bamboo dies back to the roots and regrows in the spring like grass since there is snow cover in most places around here for all of the winter. Still, the North country's extended period of deep freeze kill off a lot of things that aren't evolved for it.

The lowest temp version on the web site does claim that it goes down to -20F which is pretty good so maybe combined with an early deep snow cover it might survive. Ironically, up here in the mountains we only get a few inches of frost depth in the soil where as down in the valleys they plan on several feet of frost depth. That is due to the early snows which in turn insulate the earth and protect a lot of plant and animal life.

Also, it may be easier to grow the stock in Alabama and then sell it to colder areas where it might survive but not thrive (hopefully - Purple Loose Strife anyone?). I suspect this is a big issue.

Cheers,

-Walter
West Topsham, Vermont

North central Vermont, zone 3 except for
winters like the last two when it was zone 2.
Ah, to dream of global warming!
Maybe I should get an SUV. :)
---
Laser Printer Iron-on Heat Transfer Toner: http://transfertoner.com/
Custom Transfers on Shirts, mugs & more: http://bltserve.com/
Holly's Pencil Portraits: http://hollygraphicart.com/

For Sale: 1825 post & beam farm house, 4 square cape with kitchen el, pit sawn boards, big beams, beehive oven, 2 fireplaces, helical chimney, own a piece of Vermont history - one of the first houses in the area. Must be moved! Foundation stones also available. Some land available too.