homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pacific island navigation was:Husking a coconut, removing the meat

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pacific island navigation was:Husking a coconut, removing the meat
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:46:01 -0700

At 9/10/2004, you wrote:
> wrote about in "The Great Navigator".

Is that the book about the South Sea Islander
who counts the waves and knows ocean currents ?
(I could be confusing it with Kon-tiki ...)

South Sea Navigation uses star courses. Each route has a name and both a rising and a setting star. Sea currents, floating items, birds, etc are used to determine how far from land they are. Local waves, winds, and counting crests are used to determine drift.

> how to get grants to document the carving
> Don Bowen

Grant-writing is taught in some Community Colleges ....
I don't remember if it's a "regular" course or one of
the ones provided as "Continuing Education".

As soon as I settle in, I plan to research this some more. They are still trying to get me to just come over for 6 months and observe the canoe carving but I would like to have the money to get the local college to film the process.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com