gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Lemon tree, not very pretty

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: GeraldB571@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Lemon tree, not very pretty
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:10:02 EDT

From SoCal where lemons grow like weeds, a couple of questions and maybe some suggestions.

What lemon is it?

You say the container is 20 inches--is that diameter or depth?

In any event, it sounds like a fairly small container for that kind of citrus. I have a dwarf lime growing in a half barrel and I know that the container is maybe adquate, but probably small. I grew a Thompson navel orange in a half barell for a number of years and it finally died, and the experts at the Citrus Experiment Station UC Riverside told me the container wouldn't sustain it forever.

Also watering that often may not be good--deep soaking once a week might be better.

Fertilizer with high nitrogen and good supplies of trace elements seems to be good for citrus.

Gerald Burke
Flower Power Columnist
Riverside, CA