gmark - Re: Gospel Creation

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Creation
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:08:22 -0600

"George W. Young" wrote:

> If Mark is fiction or 'fictional,' then of what type? Biographical fiction?

With respect to the genre of GMark, List Members might like to have a look at
the
first chapter of Adela Yarbro Collins' _Beginning of the Gospel: Probing of
Mark in Context_ entitled "Is Mark's Gospel a Life of Jesus? The Question of
Genre_. I would also recommend Christoper Bryan's _A Preface to Mark: Notes on
the Gospel in Its Literary and Cultural Setting_. Bryan also takes up the
issue
of the genre of Mark and picks up and expands upon much of what R. Burridge
did
in his exploration of the Gospels compared with ancient BIOI.

In any case, it seems clear to me that those here who have been making
statement
about what GMark **is** would be well served to first insure or demonstrate
that
they can answer the questions of how closely (or not) GMark conforms to the
characteristics of the Hellenistic "Lives" and whether or not the author of
Mark
employs many (any?) of the standard topoi and techniques that authors of
Hellenistic "lives" employed.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--