gmark - Re: Gospel Creation

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Creation
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:09:50 -0800

Title: Re: [gmark] Re: Gospel Creation
> This presumes that a first century audience might 'naturally' have read the
> gospel narratives as 'myth.'  Do Luke and John betray a covert anxiety to
> ward off what the reading conventions of their gospels might naturally
> invoke?
>  G. Young

How the following?

A. i. Josephus, Contra Apion
In my history of our Antiquities, most excellent Epaphroditus, I have, I think, made sufficiently clear to any who may peruse that the work the extreme antiquity of our Jewish race …  Since, however, I observe that a considerable number of persons … discredit the statements in my history concerning our antiquity, … I consider it my duty to devote a brief treatise to all those points; in order at once to convict our detractors of malignity …, to correct the ignorance of the others, and to instruct all who desire to know the truth concerning the antiquity of our race. (Loeb I.163)
ii. Luke 1:1-4:
Since many have undertaken to set down an orderly account of the events that have been fulfilled among us,  just as they were handed on to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word,  I too decided, after investigating everything carefully from the very first, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,  so that you may know the truth concerning the things about which you have been instructed.

B. historical synchronism
i. Thucydides (2.2.1)
In the fifteenth year of the armistice, in the priesthood of Argos of Chrisis, then in her forty-eighth year of service, in the ephorship of Ainesias at Sparta, in the archonship among the Athenians of Pythodorus with two months still to serve, in the sixth month after the battle of Potidea, at the beginning of spring, came men from Thebes …
ii. Luke 3:1
In the fifteenth year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was ruler of Galilee, and his brother Philip ruler of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias ruler of Abilene, during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness.

Seems pretty clear to me.
Rikk