gmark - Re: Gospel Creation

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Creation
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:27:50 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 1:44 PM
Subject: [gmark] Re: Gospel Creation

>So let me ask you again, can you cite
> me one first century example where a movement invents wholesale fictions
> which it then passes off as recent history in order to claim that these
> inventions are the fulfillment of Jewish scripture? I can't see anything
> like this in the rabbis, nothing like it in Qumran (who were very
interested
> in the fulfillment of scripture), or anywhere else.

Parallels to aggadic midrash can be found in the Qumran pesharim. In this
sense,
the pesharim are closer in literary genre to the NT than the later rabbinic
Midrashim.
A study of the Qumran pesharim as revolving around the TR rather than Jesus
is
the closest contemporary, or near contemorary, parallel to the NT aggadic
style. I would also suggest that the migration of this style from Jewish
oral
tradition to Hellenistic literary tradition is unique to the NT making Mark
an
historical first in this area.

JK