gmark - Re: Gospel Creation

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Hudson Barton <hhbv AT highwinds.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Creation
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:53:16 -0500

Dear Joe:

...Absent evidence extrabiblical documentation that these
events actually happened, we should believe that they are fictional.

I challenge any reader to show why we shouldn't believe that the
creators of the stories below weren't relying mainly on the Old
Testament in their
narratives.

Loaves and Fishes: http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Loaves_and_Fishes.htm

Betrayal and Arrest: http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/David_and_Jesus.htm

Jesus Walks on Water:
http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Jesus_Walks_on_Water.htm

Wicked Tenants:
http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Marks_Wicked_Tenants_Parable.htm

OK, so I guess these 4 represent your strongest cases. In reading
through them, I'm detecting a certain pattern to your arguments:

1. Old Testament (or extra-biblical) parallels exist... therefore

2. the author has an axe to grind... and no "independent" observer
was there to document... therefore

3. the events didn't occur... and the burden of proof rests with
those who think otherwise.

Have I misrepresented your methodology?

H.