gmark - Re: Gospel Creation

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Creation
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:25:22 -0800

Joe, I think you are still missing the point. I think I know what your
theory is (even without the "free-wheeling" adjective, though' I think if
pressed your objection would amount to hair-splitting) and I know you are
basing it on some of the data (Mark's narrative). But my contention is that
you are being rather selective in the data you consider and am therefore
asking that your theory be put in its proper context: the observed behavior
of first century NE village communities on the best cultural evidence we
have. I am asking you to do history by attending more closely to the
actions of intentional first century agents and making sense of the data
within their cultural setting. I'm at a loss to see how this amounts to
question-begging. But let me cite you back to yourself: you suggested
earlier that if there is no extrabiblical evidence to back up a story about
Jesus, then the story was probably a fiction. (I think this is mistaken wrt
particular events, but it is a generally accepted principle in terms of
understanding literary artifacts, e.g. on questions of genre). Okay: so,
using your own canons of historicity, where is the extrabiblical evidence to
support your contention that people operated this way, that is, created
incrementally or otherwise these kinds of stories about the recent past to
show that scripture has been fulfilled? Not only is there no evidence that
I know of but what evidence there is points, as far as I know, pretty near
universally in the opposite direction (e.g. Qumran where they use scripture
to explain history, not "create" it incrementally or otherwise). If I'm
right, then by your own definition, unless you wish to change tack, you'll
have to regard your own theory as to what gave rise to these stories as
fiction. Or have I missed something?

As I said, we can talk about the shape of the NT stories if you want (as
I've said before I am utterly convinced that there are allusions to the OT
in many places), but right now I am only interested in the social mechanics
of your theory.

Regards

Rikk

PS re my use of "free-wheeling". Call the process what you will but even so
I have trouble understanding what exactly an incremental growth of the
loaves and fishes story would look like? I do hope your not reading your
Darwin into NE oral transmission).