gmark - Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:54:56 EST

Alward:

"A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When
they seized him, he fled naked, leaving his garment behind." (14:51

The flight of the naked man symbolically exposes the uncleanliness and shame
of those in Jerusalem who receive the word with joy, but run at the first
sign of trouble becaus e of the word. (Mark 4:16-17)
=========
Swain:

<< But if your understanding is correct, I would expect a more solid echo,
similar wording, a citation, something that connects the Hebrew Bible
passage to the pericope in Mark. While I'm sure that some readers may
have read this scene and heard an echo of Ezekiel, I'm not at all
positive that it is "obvious" to anyone, and certainly not obvious that
Mark has molded his narrative around those allusions. I'm looking for a
fuller exegesis from you, I guess, that demonstrates this more clearly >>
==========
Alward:

I base my suggestion on the following scripture:

”Your nakedness will be exposed and your shame uncovered." (Isaiah 47:3 )

Jerusalem has sinned greatly and so has become unclean. All who honored her
despise her, for they have seen her nakedness. (Lamentations 1:8)

This is your lot, the portion I have decreed for you," declares the LORD,
"because you have forgotten me and trusted in false gods.

I will pull up your skirts over your face that your shame may be seen”
(Jeremiah 13:25-16)

This is all I've got, Larry. It's not in the least "obvious" that Mark used
the young man to symbolize Jerusalem's shame, but I think this explanation of
the naked man is better than any other I've seen. If you want a better
exegesis, I can't provide it.

Regards,

Joe