gmark - Re: Temptations

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Mike Parsons <Mike_Parsons AT baylor.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Temptations
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 13:27:43 -0500

Reply to: RE: [gmark] Re: Temptations

Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

. As to why >I didn't, there were two factors. Time (there are about -- at a
rough estimate >-- three times as many extant instances of forms of PEIRA and
PEIRAW than of >PEIRASMOS, PEIRAZW, and EKPEIRAZW)
Well, of course, time is always a problem. I wonder, though, how confident
one can be in conclusions drawn on a database that itself may provide
inadequate coverage of the subject of interest, especially since, in my
opinion (and in agreement with George Young) a number of the Greek novels
have as their perhaps primary interest showing how tests of the protagonists'
character are met.

and the fact that my intent was to investigate only the >terminology used in
the Gospels re the "testing" of Jesus. PEIRA and PEIRAW >are not so used.

Here is where my reference to the textus receptus reading of Hebrews 4:15
(where peiromai replaces peirazw) becomes interesting. Is it to be read a
"correction" of the more difficult (?) notion of Jesus being "tested"? Or is
it (contrary to BAGD whose conclusions may rest on an insufficient database)
the case that it is viewed as a synonym for peirazw, a view that could be
supported by appeal to the Greek novels among others?
<Would you -- or anyone on the list -- be interested and/or willing to be a
co-author?

well, as interested as I in this issue, I must appeal to the already noted
problem of time. I do have a graduate student who mayI think be interested
in developing this motif of "testing" in the Greek novels and relating it to
the NT. I'll put him in touch with you.
Mikeal