gmark - Re: Temptations

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Mike Parsons <Mike_Parsons AT baylor.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Temptations
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:26:03 -0500

Reply to: RE: [gmark] Re: Temptations

I will take up your points in reverse order
you wrote: 2) . . . what you took to be instances of PEIRAZW were really
instances of PEIRAW, a >verb whose semantic range I have only cursorily
investigated.

I was (and am) fully aware that the instances I cited were cases of PEIRAW
and not PEIRAZW. I am also aware that Seeseman does include PEIRAW in his
TDNT discussion and suggests it has among other things the meaning of "put to
the test". My question is whether or not in your study (which i have not read
either in article or book form) you included instances of PEIRAW. If you
did, why do you not take into account these passages from Xenophon (and
perhaps other novels where testing in the sense of testing character is a
main theme)? If you did not, why not?

(1) to ask >whether, as George Young had seem to imply, there are really
any instances in the >Novels of the use of (EK)PEIAZW [sic] and PEIRASMOS

actually in your earlier post you wrote > > > noun PEIRASMOS and its verbal
cognates PEIRAZW, EKPEIRAZW, etc., (my emphasis)
In your new quote you (conveniently?) left out the "etc." I was asking
whether or not PEIRAW/PEIRAOMIA should be included as one of the "etc."
Mikeal C. Parsons
Department of Religion
Baylor University
Waco, TX 76798