freetds - Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Duncan Kerr" <DKerr AT nyx.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:17:47 -0000

James

I still don't understand the distinction between port and instance for
freetds connection. If I connect using port in my .conf file, I can ask
the sqlserver what it's instance name is, but if I then try and connect
using that instance name it fails, ie

[mcdb]
host = ntdevmog451
tds version=8.0
port=1433

lxdevws85 apps% tsql -S mcdb -U FUENV4\\fuadmin -P ful1ffe
locale is "C"
locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
1> select @@ServerName
2> go

NTDEVMOG451
(1 row affected)
1>

Now, I put that name into .conf & I get

[mcdb]
host = ntdevmog451
tds version=8.0
instance=NTDEVMOG451

lxdevws85 apps% tsql -S mcdb -U FUENV4\\fuadmin -P ful1ffe
locale is "C"
locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
16There was a problem connecting to the server

This doesn't make sense.

Duncan Kerr
NYSE Technologies
t +44 (0)20 7655 7214