freetds - Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:19:25 -0400

Robert Gonzalez wrote:
> Yes, telnet did not work but isql did. I totally did not think to
> document that anywhere in my process of installing freetds though.

Please note I didn't ask about isql, but tsql, because tsql takes the same
parameters telnet does.

I simply do not believe there's any condition whereby isql can connect to
a server and telnet cannot. It's possible for it to *seem* that way due
to pilot error. But strictly as a matter of how TCP/IP works, I don't see
how it's possible.

I wouldn't pound the table except that you suggested telnet might return a
"false positive". I don't want people to be confused: either there's
direct evidence for what you're asserting, or our long-standing advice
still, um, stands.