freetds - Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Duncan Kerr" <DKerr AT nyx.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:43:02 -0000

James

I finally got this to work. I had a number of config errors, and it was
a question of getting them all setup correctly at the same time -
obviously. The issues are as follows

1) I was trying to connect to 2 instances, one of sqlserverExpress, one
of sqlServer proper. Using telnet I saw that only the sqlServer proper
is listening on 1433

2) my .freetfs.conf wasn't correct, it only works with port and no
instance

3) My sqlserver login only works in format FUENV4\fuadmin

===
So my final working config, was to connect to sqlServer with
.freetds.conf

[mcdb]
host = ntdevmog451
tds version=8.0
port=1433

with command (ie with escaped backslash on unix)

lxdevws85 apps% tsql -S mcdb -U FUENV4\\fuadmin -P ful1ffe -Lv
locale is "C"
locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
1>

I don't understand why changing .freetds.conf to below should stop it
working, and the instance exists, and port 1433 is the default.

[mcdb]
host = ntdevmog451
tds version=8.0
instance= ntdevmog451