freetds - Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:20:36 -0400

Duncan Kerr wrote:
> it returns null as you suggested. Does that
> mean I can't use the instance option in .freetds.conf, or do I need to
> do something else to point to a NULL server?
> lxdevws85 apps% tsql -S mcdb -U FUENV4\\fuadmin -P ful1ffe -Lv
> locale is "C"
> locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
> 1> select serverproperty('InstanceName')
> 2> go
>
> NULL
> (1 row affected)

Before there were Instances, we all used Port. That's still a safe bet:
if you know the port, you might as well use it.

Technically, you could use the name of the default instance instead. Your
server should return the name of all instances, including the default,
using the tsql command I provided (assuming a recent snapshot). Or you
could ask your friendly DBA.

But I wouldn't bother. If you know the port, why not use it? It's simple
and explicit, and it's not going to change.

HTH.