freetds - [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Duncan Kerr" <DKerr AT nyx.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:43:56 -0000

I'm trying to connect to sqlServer Express 2005 with freeTDS from 64 bit
linux.

I have successfully built the libraries and test programs by disabling
the GUI compilation.

I am running a database on sqlServer express which is labelled "local
instance" & is named

XPH846\sqlexpress (my pc hostname is xph03846)

I am trying to connect from linux like this

tsql -S xph03846\\sqlexpress -U sa -P root -D dunc2

I have the following entries in ~/.freetds.conf

[global]

tds version = 4.2

[SQLEXPRESS]

host = XPH03846

port = 1433

tds version = 7.0

[XPH03846\SQLEXPRESS]

host = XPH03846

port = 1433

tds version = 7.0

But I can't connect - get error like this

locale is "C"

locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

Default database being set to dunc2

15 There was a problem connecting to the server

However, on my PC I can connect like this

cd c:\program files\microsoft sql server\90\tools\binn

sqlcmd -S xph03846\sqlexpress -U sa -P root -d dunc2

1>

Does anyone have any ideas why I can't connect?

Duncan Kerr

Senior Software Engineer

NYSE Technologies
25 Bank Street
London E14 5NQ

United Kingdom
t +44 (0)20 7655 7214

f +44(0)20 7673 9817

dkerr AT nyx.com <mailto:dkerr AT nyx.com>

www.nyse.com/technologies <http://www.nyse.com/technologies>

are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, please
advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and any
attachments without retaining a copy. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or