freetds - RE: [freetds] problems configuring..

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] problems configuring..
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:55:38 -0500

My thinking is that PHP, Perl, etc. all use FreeTDS's .h files and
libraries, but they don't affect the build/install process. You build
FreeTDS, test it, then go on to sqsh or whatever.

ODBC OTOH involves choosing a DM and getting its header files before
./configure [1]. Someone looking forward to using unixodbc wants to read
the UG top to bottom, like a cookbook, but the way we have things arranged,
he can't do that. To make that possible, we at least have to integrate the
ODBC instructions in the Build section.

I blame Brian. He started it.

> > 'FreeTDS: Client unable to establish connection to
> > "Servername" on
> > machine "hostname" at address "192.168.1.17" ', or
> >
> > 'FreeTDS: Login to server "Servername" failed for user
> > "Username" '.

> Sounds good. 0.61 or 0.62 ?

0.62. If you succeed and the patch is easy, 0.61.1.

Absent reported problems rc5 will become 0.61 final in the next day or so.

--jkl

[1] I'm going to update the UG to make what I think is an important
suggestion: to separate the sources from the object files. On my machines,
I have a freetds/build directory. My build command is, "cd build;
../configure && make && make install; cd -". Works like a champ. I never
have to worry about deleting sources by accident, nor rely on "make clean"
to remove object files, and "grep something include/* src/*/*" doesn't
search the binaries. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea or has run into
problems using a separate build directory, I'd like to hear from you.

out such orders and/or instructions.