freetds - RE: [freetds] problems configuring..

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] problems configuring..
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:02:37 -0500

Freddy, in case it matters, it's almost indecipherable to me. I would like
to see it reorganized as follows, if it makes sense to you:

ODBC
Building and configuring:
Common stuff, whatever DM.
iODBC
unixodbc
Installing
Files used, where they go, how they relate.
Discuss ways it can be set up, why, pros/cons:
With freetds.conf and a DSN.
With freetds.conf and no DSN.
Without freetds.conf or a DSN.
With/without DM.
Examples with Sybase's JDBC server
(each section may need some DM-specifics)
With freetds.conf and a DSN.
With freetds.conf and no DSN.
Without freetds.conf or a DSN.
With/without DM.
Testing
describe use of logs (link to Logging)
tsql
isql
other utilities

My biggest complaint is that someone can try:

$ isql -v server user password
[unixODBC]Client unable to establish connection
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

and get stuck. There should be more obvious logging of what's being
read/used/passed. Practically every ODBC question we see involves
misunderstanding these files, with no plain trail of where things went awry.
It makes me want to write to stderr.

out such orders and/or instructions.