freetds - Re: [freetds] problems configuring..

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Harvey <pharvey AT codebydesign.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] problems configuring..
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:46:35 -0800

Freddy, in case it matters, it's almost indecipherable to me. I would like
to see it reorganized as follows, if it makes sense to you:

ODBC
Building and configuring:
Common stuff, whatever DM.
iODBC
unixodbc
Installing
Files used, where they go, how they relate.
Discuss ways it can be set up, why, pros/cons:
With freetds.conf and a DSN.
With freetds.conf and no DSN.
Without freetds.conf or a DSN.
With/without DM.
Examples with Sybase's JDBC server
(each section may need some DM-specifics)
With freetds.conf and a DSN.
With freetds.conf and no DSN.
Without freetds.conf or a DSN.
With/without DM.
Testing
describe use of logs (link to Logging)
tsql
isql
other utilities

I can update the unixODBC section if you want - let me know.

My biggest complaint is that someone can try:

$ isql -v server user password
[unixODBC]Client unable to establish connection
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

In theory more information should be coming back from ODBC. I have to wonder if the driver simply fails to return details or if the ODBC subsystem is losing it? Is the ODBC driver providing details?

Peter