freetds - RE: [freetds] problems configuring..

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] problems configuring..
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:49:36 -0500

> From: Russell Kroboth [mailto:rkroboth AT visitraleigh.com]
> Sent: February 25, 2003 1:11 PM
>
> A tdsdumpconfig.log was not produced,

then freetds.conf was not consulted. You are trying for a "conf'less"
configuration?

> but the tdsdump.log ... had this in it:
> Starting log file with debug level 99.
> 2003-02-25 12:55:13.692218 iconv will convert client-side
> data to the ""
> character set
> 2003-02-25 12:55:13.692920 IP address pointer is NULL
> 2003-02-25 12:55:13.693006 Server SYBASE not found!

from which we know the ODBC driver asked for a server named "SYBASE", which
I think is some kind of default built into FreeTDS's initialization.
FreeTDS failed (unsurprisingly) to find an ip address for "SYBASE", and for
that reason couldn't connect to it.

> It sounds like my servers IP address is not being used?

Your server's name is not being passed to FreeTDS.

Based on my understanding of what you're trying to do and what I see in
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x1848.htm, I think you need an odbc.ini
like this:

[P450]
Driver = TDS
Description = Partners
Trace = No
#Servername # 192.168.1.54
Server = 192.168.1.54
Database = Partners
Port = 1433
TDS_Version = 7.0

As you verified with tsql, your DNS (not dsn) setup is OK; that's why you
can connect with the hostname and port number.

I don't use any ODBC anything, so I might not have gotten the .ini file
right. But I can tell you for sure that atm the FreeTDS TDS layer isn't
being asked to connect to 192.168.1.54.

HTH.

out such orders and/or instructions.